[vsnet-alert 18319] Re: LY UMa fading (CRTS)

Taichi Kato tkato at kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sun Feb 22 11:16:58 JST 2015

Re: LY UMa fading (CRTS)

> According to the Catalina Real-time Transient Survey (CRTS;
> Drake et al. 2009, ApJ, 696, 870) this nova-like CV is fading
> (fainter than ever before?).

   This phenomenon is strange because this object was reported
to be secondary-dominated (not disk-dominated as in a novalike
system).

   From
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2001A%26A...380..533T

However, nova-likes are characterized by very
high mass-transfer rates, establishing a stationary, and
for our case important - bright and optically thick, accretion
disc (e.g., Warner 1995). This does neither agree with
the spectroscopic data, which show Balmer and He lines
purely in emission, nor with the photometric lightcurve,
which is clearly dominated by the secondary.
There remains the possibility of a nova-like in a prolonged
low state, classifying the system as a CV of the VY
Scl type,

   So, a VY Scl-type system in high state was not expected
from the spectrum.  I wonder what is the current spectrum
or SED.