[vsnet-alert 19779] Re: V803 Cen: superoutburst is expected?

Taichi Kato tkato at kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Apr 27 12:07:23 JST 2016

Re: V803 Cen: superoutburst is expected?

   It might be worth adding a note that this kind of
state has not been seen for more than ten years
(as judged from the AAVSO data).  As some of you
would know, the behavior of V803 Cen is often rather
complex and oscillating states are often seen.  During
such states, superhumps are always present and we cannot
expect to see stage A (evolving) superhumps.
In contrast to these states, the object currently shows
typical "SU UMa-like" pattern of outbursts.  During
the rising phase of the next superoutburst, we can expect to
detect stage A superhumps, and determine the mass ratio.
Such a chance is quite rare (there was none in the last
ten years) and we encourage observers to best use
this rare opportunity.  Continuous observations
starting from the superoutburst are desirable.