[vsnet-alert 19555] Re: (cba:chat) ASASSN-13az: new SU UMa-type dwarf nova

John.R.Thorstensen at Dartmouth.edu John.R.Thorstensen at Dartmouth.edu
Fri Mar 4 23:02:16 JST 2016

Back in 2013 I took a spectrum of the brightish
star near the position of ASASSN-13az, and it
was an ordinary late-type star, but evidently there
is a CV there, also.  This could be a physical
pair or an accidental alignment.

John Thorstensen

On Fri, 4 Mar 2016, Tonny Vanmunster wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> Tonight (2016, Mar 03/04), I have been doing unfiltered CCD photometry of
> ASASSN-13az. Observations were made at CBA Belgium Observatory,  using a
> 0.35-m f/6.3 telescope and STT-3200ME CCD camera, under clear skies
> (afterwards hazy). The resulting light curve clearly shows the presence of
> superhumps, establishing this target as a new SU UMa-type dwarf nova. The
> amplitude is approx 0.25 mag. A period analysis using the ANOVA,
> Lomb-Scargle and PDM methods (Peranso), yields a combined period of 0.0838
> +/- 0.0016d.
>

> Further observations are evidently encouraged.
>
> Observations will be sent to CBA and VSNET for further analysis.
>
> Best regards
> Tonny
>
> www.cbabelgium.com
> www.peranso.com

John R. Thorstensen
Department of Physics and Astronomy
Dartmouth College
6127 Wilder Laboratory
Hanover, NH 03755

Office: 239 Wilder Hall
Phone:  603 646 2869     Fax: 1446   Hinman Box 6127