[vsnet-alert 20183] ATLAS16crq: indeed a nova (ATEL)

Taichi Kato tkato at kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Sep 20 14:27:51 JST 2016

ATLAS16crq: indeed a nova (ATEL)

   Berto Monard supplied time-resolved photometry
without significant short-term variation.

===

ATEL #9511                                                           ATEL #9511

Title:  ATLAS16crq is a faint, fast Galactic nova
Author: L. Chomiuk, J. Strader, E. Tremou (MSU), D. Bersier (LJMU),
                K. Stanek, C. Kochanek, J. S. Brown, T. W.-S. Holoien, J. Shields,
                G. Simonian (OSU), B. Shappee (Carnegie Observatories), J. Prieto
                (UDP/MAS), Subo Dong, S. Bose, Ping Chen (KIAA-PKU), J. Brimacombe
                (Coral Towers Observatory)
Queries:        chomiuk at pa.msu.edu
Subjects:Optical, Nova, Transient

We report the spectroscopic classification of the transient ATLAS16crq
(ATel #9492) as a new Galactic nova. Spectra obtained with the Liverpool
Telescope on UT Sep 17.9 and the SOAR telescope on UT Sep 20.0 show broad,
flat-topped Balmer emission lines with a half-width at zero intensity of
about 3900 km/s; the FWHM of H-alpha is about 4050 km/s. Additional broad
emission lines of He I and N are present, indicating a classification as
an He/N nova. </br></br>

The Na I D lines are saturated in the spectra, suggesting a  high level
of reddening. This is not unexpected, given the nova's low Galactic latitude
(l = 21.3 deg, b = 1.2 deg).</br></br>

The ASAS-SN survey recovered ATLAS16crq on 2016 Sep 7.3 UT at V = 13.4
mag. It was not detected on 2016 Sep 5.3 (V > 17.6) or 2016 Sep 14.1 (V
>16.3). The light curve shows remarkably fast evolution; see <a href="http://cv.asassn.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/catalog?catalog=3539">
ASAS-SN CV Patrol. </a>