[vsnet-alert 22236] ASASSN-18mp: new eclipsing SU UMa type dwarf nova !

Tonny Vanmunster tonny.vanmunster@gmail.com via vsnet-alert vsnet-alert at ooruri.kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Jun 15 10:41:25 JST 2018

Dear colleagues,

I’m currently (2018, Jun 14/15) running an unfiltered CCD photometry
session of ASASSN-18mp. Observations are being made at CBA Extremadura
Observatory in Spain,  using a 0.40-m f/5.1 telescope and Trius SX-46 CCD
camera, under a very clear sky. A few weeks ago, I wrote a software package
to display a real-time light curve, i.e. each incoming CCD image is
instantaneously and photometrically analysed and the resulting light curve
is updated. Through this approach, one actually sees the light curve of the
object building up as the session goes on.

I just had a look at the real-time light curve of ASASSN-18mp – see image
below. It clearly shows an eclipse like dip, indicating that ASASSN-18mp is
a new eclipsing SU UMa type dwarf nova. I’m evidently continuing my
observing session and will later report on the outcome of a more extensive
analysis of my data. The object is currently around mag 15.6 (CV).  An
intermediate analysis using LesvePhotometry clearly confirms the eclipse,
which has a depth of approx 0.6 mag.

Follow-up observations are strongly recommended.

Observations will be sent to AAVSO, CBA and VSNET for further analysis.

Best regards
Tonny

--

Tonny Vanmunster