[vsnet-campaign-dn 4442] Campaign for SDSS161033 by AAVSO

Makoto Uemura uemuram at hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Thu Jun 23 09:26:57 JST 2005

AAVSO campaign for SDSS161033

    The following announcement about a HST campaign for SDSS161033
was posted to AAVSO Alert Notice.  You can also see the announce at:

http://www.aavso.org/publications/alerts/alert319.shtml

Regards,
Makoto Uemura
Hiroshima University
-----------------------------
1. REQUEST TO MONITOR THE CV SDSS161033 (1605-00) FOR HST OBSERVATIONS

   Dr. Paula Szkody (University of Washington) has requested our help in
monitoring SDSS J161033 for upcoming Hubble Space Telescope observations.
This is a similar campaign to the one recently run on SDSS J2205 and SDSS
J013132 (CCD Views #336; Alert Notice #318). Thanks to Patrick Schmeer
(SPK) for sending observations for the last campaign!

   SDSS J161033 is at R.A. = 16:10:33.6 Dec. = -01:02:24 (2000).

   This is a suspected UGWZ dwarf nova discovered by the Sloan Digital
Sky Survey (SDSS) with a quiescent magnitude of around V=19. It has never
been observed in outburst and is not expected to be in outburst on this
date. However, if it *is* in outburst then its brightness could damage
the ACS instrument on HST. As a result, the HST mission planners want to
be absolutely sure that SDSS J161033 is not in outburst immediately prior
to the scheduled observation. The HST observations are scheduled to
begin at June 30 18:51 (UT).

   We are requesting V filtered observations of this field each night
from June 24th-July 1st (UT). We are making an unusual request in that we
are asking for the FITS images themselves to be uploaded to the AAVSO's
FTP site. So please follow these procedures:

   1. Observe SDSS J161033 once daily on June 24-June 30 (UT). Set your
      exposure to go at least as faint as 16th mag for S/N=3.
   2. Submit your estimate to the AAVSO as "SDSS161033" (AAVSO Desig.: 1605-00).
   3. Send the final, calibrated (stacked if neccessary) FITS image to the
      AAVSO via FTP:

          host: ftp.aavso.org
          user: sdss
          password: sdss

    ** IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU SEND THE FITS IMAGE!! **
   We cannot forward your observation to the HST planning staff without a
FITS image associated with it. We recommend that you also submit a full
AAVSO observation on the object because that is the only way to ensure
that we have all the data the scientists may need (comp star, date (UT),
etc.). We had a number of observations made of SDSS J2205 that were not
sent in the correct format or without uploaded FITS files.

   An f-scale chart is available at:
     http://www.aavso.org/cgi-bin/searchcharts3.pl?name=SDSS161033

   The AAVSO Chat Room will be open for the project.

   This is last of three objects in this program. Congratulations!

   This campaign will be coordinated by A. Price (aaronp at aavso.org).