[vsnet-campaign-dn 9916] Osaki and Kato, Paper III

Taichi Kato tkato at kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Sep 18 09:07:10 JST 2013

   I would like to introduce this Osaki & Kato, Paper III

===

arXiv:1309.3722
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 04:45:38 GMT   (1771kb)

Title: A Further Study of Superoutbursts and Superhumps in SU UMa Stars by the
  Kepler Light Curves of V1504 Cygni and V344 Lyrae
Authors: Yoji Osaki (U. of Tokyo) and Taichi Kato (Kyoto U.)
Categories: astro-ph.SR
Comments: 25 pages, 11 figures, accepted for publication in PASJ
\\
  We made a supplemental study of the superoutbursts and superhumps in SU UMa
stars by using the recently released Kepler public data of V1504 Cyg and V344
Lyr. One of the superoutbursts in V1504 Cyg was preceded by a precursor normal
outburst which was well separated from the main superoutburst. The superhump
first appeared during the descending branch of the precursor normal outburst
and it continued into quiescence (the deep dip between the precursor and the
main superoutburst), and it began to grow in amplitude with the growth of the
main superoutburst after quiescence ended. A similar phenomenon was also
observed in V344 Lyr. This observation demonstrates very clearly that the
superoutburst was triggered by the superhump (i.e., by the tidal instability),
supporting the thermal-tidal instability model. Smak (2013, Acta Astron., 63,
109, arXiv:1301.0187) criticized our previous paper (Osaki and Kato, 2013,
PASJ, 65, 50, arXiv:1212.1516) and challenged our main conclusion that various
observational lines of evidence of V1504 Cyg support the thermal-tidal
instability model for the superoutbursts of SU UMa stars. We present our
detailed accounts to all of his criticisms by offering clear explanations to
his criticisms. We conclude that the thermal-tidal instability model is after
all only the viable model for the superoutbursts and superhumps in SU UMa
stars.
\\ ( http://arxiv.org/abs/1309.3722 ,  1771kb)