[vsnet-alert 13235] (fwd) V5558 Sgr rebrightening?

Taichi Kato tkato at kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Apr 25 12:21:50 JST 2011

From: Rob Kaufman <rob.kau at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 12:39:27 +1000
Subject: Is V5588 Sgr rebrightening?

Could be a false alarm, but is V5588 Sgr (N Sgr 2011 No. 2) rebrightening?
I've picked up the position in same-exposure DSLR widefields four times.  On
28 Mar and 8 April it showed as a very faint dot and on 13 April nothing
showed.  Last night it showed as a much stronger dot (image linked).  I
don't shoot deep and it may be due to varying sky conditions and camera
colour response.  In the green channel (normally corresponding fairly well
to V-band, but I don't know what influence the reddening has), a mag 12.7
comp star is visible but a mag 13.2 comp star is not.

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww271/Rob_Kau/V5588Sgr24Apr2011comp.jpg

Cheers -

Rob Kaufman, KBJ
Bright, Vic, Australia