[vsnet-alert 8637] (fwd) New var near M27 (Renz)

Taichi Kato tkato at kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Aug 24 08:43:55 JST 2005

   Message from Wolfgang Renz:

From: "Wolfgang Renz" <w_renz at onlinehome.de>
Subject: Re: Fw: New object near M27
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:01:32 +0200

Hello Robert, Hello Phil

That are the two faintest stars with with Henden photometry near the
new object:
# Name RA(J2000) raerr DEC(J2000) decerr nobs V B-V U-B V-R R-I Errors
M27 299.962649 0.104 22.709794 0.065 9 18.745 1.329 99.999 0.356 0.779 =
0.103 0.063 9.999 0.072 0.102
M27 299.963127 0.429 22.708488 0.241 9 19.378 1.246 99.999 0.181 0.962 =
0.170 0.147 9.999 0.125 -9.999

In your image http://www.robertb.darkhorizons.org/m27.htm
you marked the 18.745 magV star with the red cross. The 19.378
magV star is just above the lower streak (this one is scrambled with
a 20.x mag star in your images; maybe also in Arne's photometry).
The new object should be about 1/4th of their distance above the
fainter one.=20
The progenitor might be one of the two fainter stars in Arne's 26
magR image that are not in your image. If it is one of them, then
the outburst amplitude would be less than 10 mag. Thats at the
lower range for a classical nova (8-15 mag) but would be OK for
a recurrent nova (outburst interval: several decades to much more)
or a WZ Sge star (UGSU stars with infrequent bright super out-
bursts and no normal outbursts; like AL Com, EG Cnc, GW Lib
and WZ Sge; outburst interval: more than 1000 days up to a few
decades). There are also some galaxies in that area (the closest
radio galaxy is just 2.5' away), but they should be too faint (=3D too
far away) to produce such a bright SN.

Take a look at the newest 20" RCOS  image of R Jay GaBany
from last night:
http://www.cosmotography.com/images/imp_m27_nova.html
http://www.cosmotography.com/images/imp_m27_postnova.jpg
On this one it looks like its none of the two. This would make it
more probable that is something with a larger outburst amplitude
than a UGSU/WZ star.

No, I'm not the discoverer of the new object !
Joerg Hanisch and Hans-Goeran Lindberg are the discoverers.

Joerg Hanisch consulted two photometrists in the German BAV
directly on Sunday morning. One was away and the other one
adviced him to consult the BAV-Forum email list. So I got to know
of the object on early Sunday evening.
As usually not many people respond to such requests, I made some
basic checks myself (cosmics, reflections, near MP, new SNs, near
galaxies, not bright in DSS 2 infrared & 2MASS J H Ks). All basic
checkes were OK. Then I started to look in the pretty picture email
lists for recent images of M27 and found an image by Dominik Wos
that showed to new object too. While I prepared my first email,
Hans-Goeran Lindberg reported the new object too.

You must remember that the way it went is not the 'usual' one !
Some people are 'keen on' being named as discoverer and some
publishers give hard restrictions for issuing an announcement. So
'usually' new objects are not announced publicly but confidentially
to a very small circle thats able to confirm the discovery and make
photometry and spectra. If the required data for a paper or an IAUC
is collected, they go public. As this process takes some time
(usually 1 to 10 days), very often valuable time is lost on fast
changing object. Every day it takes longer, no data can be
collected by the rest of the world.
As the new object was already announced publicly there was no
need and possibility to keep it secret by me. Actually I wanted to
see what we amateurs can collect on the new object before the
professionals even hear about it.
With the image of R Jay GaBany it should be possible to identify
a possible progenitor in Arne's 26 magR image. Now we are
just a sprectrum away from an IAUC and an AAVSO Alert.

Sorry to hear that nobody is interested in the Siefert-like jet coming
out of NGC 5943 you found. Maybe someone is interested who
reads this email. Or knows someone who might be interested.

Clear skies
  Wolfgang

--=20
Wolfgang Renz, Karlsruhe, Germany