[vsnet-chat 7198] Re: Supernovae and amateur astronomers

arne arne at aavso.org
Thu Sep 1 23:55:12 JST 2005

So serious amateurs work at another job to gather sufficient funds
to pursue their astronomy hobby; professionals work at an astronomy
job to pursue their astronomy hobby. :-)
  Seriously, the main difference is the PhD.  That is a major
investment of time, energy, money and intelligence.  Don't
dismiss it lightly.  Kinda the difference between
a nurse and a surgeon.  Both are important. (I know surgeons
whom I would never let draw blood, and professional astronomers
that should never get near a telescope.)
Arne