[vsnet-chat 7275] Re: U Mensae

Stan Walker astroman at xtra.co.nz
Mon Feb 6 08:37:52 JST 2006

Hi Alan,

I noted the various comments about U Mensae and looked up the star in the GCVS and ASAS. The latter shows a good light curve but flat bottomed due to the presence of a companion (probably line of sight only). GCVS gives a value of 10.4 (photographic, I think) for this and a separation of 0.6". Guide 6 has some values from Tycho but they don't match the GCVS at all.

The ASAS measures prove that it is a Mira star, but its light curve is dramatically distorted due to the companion star. For more than 50% of the light curve any observer is seeing mainly light from the companion - hence the low amplitude and the incorrect SR classification. Now that Arne has identified the correct star I imagine that there are a few measured stars nearby which could help observing?

Regards,
Stan