[vsnet-chat 7309] Re: [AVSON] T Cen

Peter F Williams pfwilliams at onaustralia.com.au
Mon Sep 18 06:03:04 JST 2006

Hi Sebastian and All,

My recent observations also show the current "standstill" of T Cen
continues.

Based on its past performance, T Cen has a usual amplitude of 2.5 to 3
magnitudes, roughly between mags 6 and 9.  At what appears to be irregular
intervals it experiences some cycles where the amplitude is reduced to just
1 magnitude, such as we are currently seeing.

During the 1970s, it seemed to have one or perhaps two such shallow cycles
each year but since then it has behaved more like we have seen in recent
times.

I would expect the current cycle to commence a slow brightening in the near
future, keeping in line with the 90 day period and we should see it return
to maximum during the latter part of October.  At this time, however, T Cen
will be close to conjunction with the sun and therefore difficult to
observe.  The following minimum is due early December when it is again
difficult in the pre-dawn sky and it will be interesting to see if this
cycle returns to a more normal amplitude.  During all this, the 90 days
period should remain evident.

T Cen is clearly one to keep a watch on.  Most interesting.

Best wishes.

Peter Williams
Heathcote NSW