[vsnet-alert 10652] OT_J030558.6+054715 = Catalina transient, emission-line object of unknown class

Taichi Kato tkato at kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sat Nov 1 13:51:48 JST 2008

> OT_J030558.6+054715 = Catalina transient
>
>   This transient is a slowly brightening, unusual transient.
> There is a non-red 18-19 mag counterpart in USNO catalog.

   This object is indeed an emission-line object of unknown class.
The presence of [O III] (?) line is unusual if this is a nova in the
rising stage.

===

Optical spectroscopy of transient CSS081007:030559+054715

ATel #1825; O. Pejcha, J. L. Prieto & K. Denney (Ohio State
University) on 31 Oct 2008; 17:11 UT

Password Certification: Jose Prieto (prieto at astronomy.ohio-state.edu)
Subjects: Optical, Novae, Transients

We report on observations of a transient CSS081007:030559+054715
discovered by the Catalina Real-time Transient Survey (CRTS).
According to CRTS photometry the object brightened by about 4 mag
during the last year and is currently at about 16th magnitude. We
obtained low resolution spectrum (range 4200-7500 Angstroms) on 2008
Oct 27.32 UT using Modspec instrument on 2.4m Hiltner telescope at
the MDM Observatory. The spectrum shows blue continuum with very wide
and prominent emission lines. The Halpha line shows three
well-separated components with radial velocities of -1740, -160 and
1580 km/s. The total HWZI is 2900 km/s. Apparently similar structure
is seen at the position of He II and [OIII]. Hbeta is detected but
weak. There is a wide unresolved line or blend of lines at the
position of Hgamma.

The plot of the MDM spectrum can be seen at
http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~pejcha/crts_transient.

In addition, between 2008 Oct 27.41 and 27.48 UT we obtained 130 r
band images with RETROCAM instrument also on the MDM 2.4m telescope.
During that time the transient remained constant to within ~0.05 mag.

The transient is located at galactic coordinates of
(l,b)=(172.627,-43.727), i.e. away from the Galactic center. The
Schlegel et al. (1998) value of the interstellar extinction at this
position is AV = 0.48 mag.

Based on the similarity of the observed spectral features with
spectra of recurrent nova CI Aql (see, e.g., Fig. 5 in Matsumoto et
al. 2001, A&A, 378, 487), including large expansion velocities, we
suggest that the transient CSS081007:030559+054715 represents a
nova-like phenomenon, although with very unusual, gradual rise of the
light curve. For any plausible distance within our Galaxy (i.e. less
than 50 kpc), the absolute magnitude of CSS081007:030559+054715 is
fainter than about -3 magnitudes, significantly less luminous than
classical novae. However, note the large gap in the temporal coverage
of the event, and the fact that it is still ongoing.

Further observations of this interesting transient are strongly
encouraged.

We thank K. Z. Stanek and R. M. Wagner for useful discussions and
suggestions.