[vsnet-alert 11727] CSS CV naming convention

Mike Simonsen mikesimonsen at aavso.org
Sun Dec 13 23:33:48 JST 2009

It has been brought to my attention on more than one occasion that the
use of the prefix OT J to describe and rename CSS CVs is a violation
of the Catalina Sky Survey's intellectual property rights. We have
been guilty of reproducing this non-IAUC sanctioned moniker in reports
of activity at times, and its improper use has bled into our mailing
lists from cross posting with VSNET.

Let me say for the record, that the CV Section, respectful of the
rights of the Catalina Real-Time Sky Survey, will use the full proper
names of these objects in its mailing lists, circulars and web pages.
If we mess up and reproduce an OT J name, please email us and let us
know. Contrary to what John Greaves writes in the email reproduced
below, neither the activity at a glance nor the CRTS update is done
automatically by a script. We human beings scan all the lists,
announcements, websites and archives daily to bring our readers this
information.

My apologies to the Catalina Sky Survey team and a tip of the hat to
John Greaves for rightly bringing this to our attention...again.

--
Mike Simonsen
Vice President