[vsnet-alert 11730] Re: CSS CV naming convention

Mike Simonsen mikesimonsen at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 14 11:46:06 JST 2009

It is true that in the past AAVSO reporting conventions and software
required a ten character limit, but this is no longer the case, so we
and all our observers are able to conform to the proper naming of CVs
discovered in outburst for the first time by the Catalina Sky Survey,
as well as the full SDSSJxxxxxx.xx+xxxxxx.x names when reporting
observations.

We are entering the age of license plate named objects discovered by
surveys with their own naming conventions. We might as well start
respecting their propriety and rights in naming and discussing these
objects in forums and papers.

If the date of original discovery of uniqueness is part of that name,
so be it. Subsequent detections of the same object should not ignore
or disrespect the original discoverers' contribution. You can't claim
discovery or uniqueness of a subsequent detection and then rename the
object.

That is nearly as silly as me calling the next detection of UV Per in
outburst SimonsenJ021008.00+571120.0

--
Mike Simonsen
Vice President